[New post] The 'Dear Mr. Last Name' Client

Posted by | Posted on 22:30

The 'Dear Mr. Last Name' Client

junaidbhura | June 3, 2010 at 11:00 am | Categories: Client Education, Freelancing | URL: http://wp.me/pBOiX-1z

Goodbye, Good riddance

Good bye, Good riddance

Recently I was taken by surprise by a response to an email I sent, which read:

"I would appreciate if I were addressed  in  proper business terminology"

This was in response to my "Hey, First Name"

As I sat rubbing my eyes in utter disbelief,  I started to come to terms with the fact that the old system of business run by patriarchal males, who could only reach a certain position by establishing dominance... Still exists in some parts of the world!

Just like people who think that entire web sites can be made in Flash and be happy about it, there are still people who live in the Jurassic period of the Internet (1989 - 1993) and online interaction. In an age where emails are starting to get outdated, and we will soon no longer need to introduce ourselves or have an email signature (sup, Microsoft Outlook), people need to be educated about the new, informal and unpretentious way of communication: "Hi, First Name"

The word "Hi" eliminates the fact that you are "Dear" to me. I'm not going to lie to you, you're not. It also eliminates the need to use a 16th century title like "Mr."

The use of the person's first name directly after "Hi" establishes a bond on a personal level. To not want one, like our client above, is to want to be given special respect and acknowledgment of being important, and that gives an impression of being needy.

Alright, have it your way, Mr. Last Name. Could you also get your bullock cart because we need to be in the next town by nightfall and greet everyone by their titles and last names! Fun!

Add a comment to this post


Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://subscribe.wordpress.com

Comments (0)

Post a Comment